I have forgotten in which novel it was. I’ve tried to, but I can’t find it again. I think it might have been in in ´A Heart So White´, but I really can’t remember for sure. But ever since I read it I knew he was right. Spanish men do wear their pants a tad bit higher. It’s mostly the ones 30+, and over, but you can see it with others too.
I am, however, sure that Javier Marías will accept that I am being uncertain here. The entire world of his novels is unreliable. They all evoke the fact that memory is ultimately false, or at least never the same twice. He tells stories, and he retells them. Memories are being scrutinized, people are not who they seem to be, and human nature fools you (sometimes to the point where you begin to ponder what you don't really want to know). But in the end everything is totally believable - in one way or another - just the way it should be in a good novel.
Spanish men do wear their pants a bit higher.
Javier Marías is one of Spain’s best writers. His prose is winding, full of parenthetical and dependent clauses and phrases, but never heavy. Everything quickly links to each other, evocative and irresistible (I think his style is a bit similar to the writing of Salmon Rushdie.) He has been mentioned as a candidate for the Nobel prize more than once.
This last year, 2012, he refused to accept a prestigious prize for his latest novel, (Premio Nacional de Narrativa). He used the occasion to criticize the PP government and the president Rajoy instead.
- Los dominios del lobo (1971)
- Travesía del horizonte (Voyage Along the Horizon, 1973)
- El monarca del tiempo (1978)
- El siglo (1983)
- El hombre sentimental (The Man of Feeling, 1986)
- Todas las almas (All Souls, 1989)
- Corazón tan blanco (A Heart So White, 1992)
- Vidas escritas (Written Lives, 1992)
- Mañana en la batalla piensa en mí (Tomorrow in the Battle Think On Me, 1994)
- Cuando fui mortal (When I Was Mortal 1996)
- Negra espalda del tiempo (Dark Back of Time, 1998)
- Tu rostro mañana 1. Fiebre y lanza (Your Face Tomorrow 1: Fever and Spear, 2002)
- Tu rostro mañana 2. Baile y sueño (Your Face Tomorrow 2: Dance and Dream, 2004)
- Tu rostro mañana 3. Veneno y sombra y adiós (Your Face Tomorrow 3: Poison, Shadow and Farewell, 2007)
- Los enamoramientos (The Infatuations, 2011)